Saudi-led Coalition Attacks A Yemeni Hospital

Saudi coalition fighters have bombarded a hospital near the Al-Sawad area in the city of Sanhan, south of Sanaa in Yemen, has reported the Yemeni al-Masirah news channel. On Thursday, Saudi warplanes attacked the Model 48 Hospital injuring four members of the staff and critically wounding two of them.

According to local sources, coalition fighters have targeted the hospital compound twice.

As a result, the hospital building has been damaged, and major panic has spread among the hospitalized patients.

Similar airstrikes in Hudaydah’s al-Garrahi district have killed two Yemenis, according to a separate al-Masirah report.

The war in numbers

The Yemeni war has been going on since 2014 between the internationally recognized government of Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi backed by a Saudi-led military coalition and the Iran-allied Houthis. The war started when the rebels seized the capital, Sanaa.

About US$484.4 million is needed to respond to the crisis in 2022. Children’s nutrition is increasingly threatened, and acute malnutrition is now at serious levels.

The conflict has killed around 130,000 people and caused the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. According to UNICEF, 21 million people need humanitarian assistance, including more than 11 million children.

On Wednesday, Acting Assistant Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator Ramesh Rajasingham told the UN Security Council that “the biggest constraint right now is funding, last year’s response plan was 58% funded, making it the lowest funded appeal for Yemen since 2015.”

In December, the World Food Programme announced cuts in food assistance for 8 million people due to funding shortages. Vital programs, including water, protection, and reproductive health services, have also been forced to scale back or close for lack of funds.

Other constraints are Humanitarian access and the maintenance of security. As Rajasingham described “bureaucratic impediments persist and include significant delays in approving aid projects, issuing staff visas and facilitating movements, and importing necessary equipment is also harder than it should be.”

There are security challenges for the UN staff on the ground. “Ansar Allah authorities have not provided access to the two UN staff detained in Sana’a in November. Access to a third detained UN worker, arrested in Marib in December, is currently being arranged with Government officials”, said Rajasingham.

Leave a Reply